Monday, April 4, 2011

Perfect timing

In moving further out into the country, we hope to slow the pace of life and concentrate on the most important priorities - God and family.  The last week has been hectic with moving, trying to figure out where things will go, including the dogs, and changing everything over to the new address.  In the chaos, I've tried to make sure and read my devotional nightly.  I also read through another book on christian parenting. 

The author made a very good point - parenting is not just about the bond you have with your child, it is a mission.  Instead of consuming ourselves with the latest parenting techniques, and our children day in and day out, we need to focus on God.  If we don't, we're no good to our kids.  That focus means we worship Him and we study, not just read, His word.  We need to totally devote ourselves to him and then the parenting will fall into place.  Our children will see Him through us, and in spite of us.


When I am on a spiritual high, or am steadily doing my devotional, I think I'm doing pretty good.  However, through some different devotional passages, the verses my daughter learned for Bible Drill, and a novel I'm reading, God is telling me to not be satisfied with where I am.  I can't half way give myself to Him and at the end of the day come running to Him for protection.  He must guide my steps beforehand, not after the fact.  I must be in His word, completely every day.  I need to study it more, see what He is telling me and truly live each moment for Him.  Is this easy?  Goodness no, but the Spirit will do what I cannot.  What is required of me is to turn it all over to Him.  Every nook and cranny of my life.  And for someone who is use to being in control, that is not easy.  However, it is freeing.  None of us is perfect, but we that doesn't mean we give up and put half-hearted effort into it.

Last night we were at our previous church and my year or longer lost bible was brought to me.  It is my study bible and I had really missed it.  I'd purchased 2 other different types of bibles, but was hoping this one would turn up.  And it did in perfect timing - when God is telling me to study His word more intently so He can speak to me.  Amazing!

Dear Father, I give all of today to you.   When I start to wander towards taking control, please reign me back in to your will.  Thank you for being in control of my life.  Please show yourself to me today unmistakably.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment