Friday, June 22, 2012

Sometimes we need to be quiet

In my devotion this morning, it talked about when Jesus was quiet before Caiaphas in Matthew 26:57-64.  It went on to explain that sometimes we just need to be quiet, especially when the person challenging our faith is not sincere in finding the truth.

Yesterday I was physically present at a meeting for which normally I call in.  I was shocked at some of the language that was effortlessly thrown out there like it was okay.  I had to decide how to react.  Luckily the Holy Spirit told me to be quiet, bringing it up would do no good.  I simply looked down at my notes and did not respond to their general statement with agreement nor disagreement.  Did my message come across?  I have no idea.  But I did not come across legalistic in demanding such talk is not appropriate.  If it happens again, I'm not sure I can keep my mouth shut, but pray the Spirit will guide me in my response.

Then God brought to my attention when I wasn't quiet.  I shared something that seemed sharable to me but apparently wasn't to my husband.  Ouch!  This was not anything personal to him, but a household situation we are fixing.  I didn't listen to that still small voice that asked if hubby would mind if I shared.  God has to keep giving me that lesson, and I wish I would hurry up and learn it. :)  Thank goodness He doesn't give up.

This morning I woke up and found out a loved one passed...via Facebook.  This hurt and I was angry with my relative that posted it before someone could call me.  But I have no right, I did not better in keeping my mouth shut. 

So there are 3 situations within 24 hours and 1 devotional that God used to speak to me about keeping silent.  It amazes me how He will find different ways to drive a point home.

Thank you, Lord, for openly teaching us when we are not on Your path.  Please silence me when it is needed and open my mouth when it is needed.  Thank you for the unexpected ways You speak.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment