Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Friday night I was on my usual run to the nearest 'city' to get groceries, take daughter to karate, etc.  We were in Wal-Mart to get more paint for the house.  The Friday before Memorial Day and noone was working in the paint department.  In my mind, I complained that Wal-Mart understaffs to make more money.  And yet again, I'll be getting home at 10 on Friday after an hour's drive.  I tried to keep a patient attitude and went to another dept to have someone paged.  After another 5 - 10 minutes, I asked a different worker to page someone.  Another 5 minutes and I asked a third worker to page a manager, surely they could mix paint.  The lady was older and gave a funny look saying she wasn't so sure.  She spotted the lady that knew how to do it, giving someone else a break in another dept.

Martha came over and you could tell she was tired but still getting her duties done.  Her phone rang - her husband was just out of ICU.  I was floored.  Not wanting to be nosey, but wanting to make up for my earlier impatience, I asked if he was feeling better.  No.

She went on to tell me about the last 2 years of their life, since his motorcycle accident in which he was thrown 60 feet.  He'd broken 57 bones, his spine and pelvis breaking in 2.  There's now a very long screw holding the pelvis together and a metal cage around his spine.  She lost count of the procedures and surgeries the doctors said he wouldn't live through.  He already had heart problems and diabetes.  Now liver and kidney issues are added.  The doctors said he would never walk again, but the two of them worked together and he is walking and driving short distances. 

I asked if his spirits were up.  Honestly, I expected her to say he was depressed from the daily shots, 19 medicines, and continual hospital stays.  But she said his spirits are up.  He told her there are 2 things that keep him going - 1 - the good Lord wasn't done with him yet, 2 - he wasn't done loving her yet. 

She works as much as she can because they need the money and through Christmas Wal-Mart needed her, so she had to let someone else take care of him.  I felt so small for every time I've been upset there aren't enough cashiers or floor workers.  Instead, I should be praying for those not able to get to work.

God blessed me with Martha and her husband.  They are working through a very difficult time, but still loving each other and leaning on each other. 

Thank you, Lord, for those you put in our paths to show us your love and hope in action.  Please bless Martha and her husband this week, giving them laughter and a break from the turmoil.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment