Sunday, February 20, 2011

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim

The journey is always more 'exciting' than the destination isn't it?  I've been trying earnestly to really think about things before I react and keep my mind on God.  But, like all of you, I am human.  I mess up daily and when things catch me completely off guard, my world can turn upside down and I don't necessarily react calmly and take it in stride. 

This happened to me Saturday and honestly, I was overwhelmed.  Many things happened all on top of each other and my mind and heart were going in all different directions.  During the night, I woke up and stayed up from the anxiety of it all. 

This morning, my stomach wasn't feeling so hot and I wanted to stay in bed rather than go to church.  But God reminded me I was in charge of breakfast for Sunday School.  Okay, I'm listening, quit thinking about myself and get my focus on Him.  I spoke briefly with a friend about yesterday's events (most of which she was aware of) and she smiled and said, "This too shall pass."  It brought such a calm to me.  Besides it being God's word, it is something I try to remember to get through the hard days.  God spoke to me so sweetly through her.

Then in worship, the words of 2 hymns filled my soul and calmed my spirit...

"Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus"
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s a light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conquerors we are!

Refrain
His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Refrain




"Amazing Grace"
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.



Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.



Lord, please give us the eyes to see You and ears to hear You above everything else.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment